Zaalouk is a classic Moroccan salad that can be enjoyed either cold or warm and is served with bread. Its smoky flavor and many fragrant spices make it a highly popular appetizer for any occasion.
- 1 medium organic eggplant (cubed)
- 2 large organic tomatoes (peeled and diced)
- 3 organic garlic cloves (pressed)
- 4 tablespoons organic olive oil
- organic salt and freshly ground organic pepper
- 1 teaspoon organic cumin
- 1 teaspoon organic chili powder
- 1 tablespoon distilled organic white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped organic parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400º. Place the eggplant in a baking dish and brush it with olive oil. Roast the eggplant for 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and mash the eggplants with a fork.
2. In a medium frying pan, cook the tomatoes with garlic and olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the mashed eggplants and cook for another 10 to 12 minutes, mashing them with a spatula to completely blend them with the tomatoes. Remove from heat and mix in the salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and vinegar.
3. Serve warm with bread or crackers.